blogkeen

Jewellery by Jolie

Saturday 13 October 2012

Browser Compatibility Problems!!!

Orlando, Menswear,mens,men's,necklace,jewellery,jewelery,jolie,design,designer,store,shopJust as a I thought it was safe to get back to my jewellery design…. O my G… Browser Compatibility Problems @ Orlandomenswear.com …… Well…I paused to think… how on earth am I going to cope with this…I sighed and reached over to my pile of Dummies Guides…this time ‘HTML, XHTML and CSS’ by Ed Tittel and Jeff Noble (if you wish to know more, check out the Amazon widget at the bottom of my sidebar..). I was advised to go to the great Validator in order to find out what was wrong with my seemingly innocent HTML. From what I could decipher, this Oracle told me it had something to do with old HTML in my front page layout.. (Oracles speak in strange tongues..)…It didn’t like my Meta tag language very much either. I decided this might be something to do with my using a very old copy of Dreamweaver… which due to somewhat straitened circumstances …I cannot afford to update. Thankfully, however, my trusty guide advised me that all was not lost, I could actually go to the ball after all… With a wave of the magic wand.. A free WYSYG editor called Kompozer appeared and I was able to design a table for my front page in quite a straight forward way, without any depreciation in the design. I then pasted my table into a ‘Test’ page on my website, to check it’s compatibility with other browsers. I’ve been working on my website so far on a MacBook with a FireFox browser. It didn’t look to cool in Safari. With a little tweaking I deduced that I needed to widen my Header in my CSS style editor, as my logo and search box were cut off at the bottom. It is a little wider than I like in FireFox now, but in order to make it look good in Safari I had to compensate. I then checked out how it looked on Internet Explorer on my Mum’s PC Laptop, then went onto see how it looked in Google Chrome and Opera. It now appears to be fine in all these browsers. Just to be on the safe side, I  also decided that I had better check my links using Broken Link Checker. I thought this wise, as I transferred all my posts from my Blog… Jewellery by Jolie… on Blogger, using the WordPress plug-in Blogger Importer. All the links seemed to be working apart from a link to M&S where an item was no longer stocked. Sigh of relief….
I apologise if you have had problems viewing my Website, please contact me if problems persist, and I will see what I can do ( famous last words..)….
Now time for some SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). On the advice of ‘The Idiots guide to Creating a Website’, by Paul McFedries (if you wish to know more, check out the Amazon widget at the bottom of my sidebar..), I submitted the Url  Orlandomenswear.com to Google, Bing and Alexa. I found this a little problematic in WordPress, as you are advised to paste the Verification Meta Tag into the HTML in the Header part of your Web Site. You can’t do this in WordPress as the Header is in CSS. Thankfully, I found a plug-ins for this WordPress SEO, by Mervin Praison. Go to Plugins – Add New – search- WordPress SEO – Install – Activate. Go to the bottom of the Dashboard and a large M will have appeared – Google Authorship and Analytics Settings – Webmaster Tools. Thanks Mervin! Finally, following the advice of Paul McFedries, I decided to submit my url using multiple search  engine submission sites Add Me and Submit Express.
Now… fingers crossed.. its back to some jewellery design….

No comments:

Post a Comment